Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Come into the garden, Maud

For the black bat, Night, has flown,
Come into the garden,  Maud,
I am here at the gate alone

(Lord  Alfred Tennyson)


My first finish for 2010 -- Maud's Garden. The beginning lines of this poem have always "spoke" to me.   I started on this last Fall.  Thanks to a blizzard, the holiday days off from work and lots of determination (in between bouts of shoveling snow), Maud is finished, and is now hanging in my living room.

This piece is all collaged fabrics on top of a black batting base.  (Note to self: do not sew on top of batting again -- it's messy and will drive you crazy).  A variety of fabrics were used, everything from cotton to velvet.  The fairy, the moon with the owl, and the little fairy house were made by using rubber stamps on fabric and adding fabric paint and colored pencils. The rest of the images are appliqued from my huge stash of novelty fabrics.  This is all raw edge applique.  Hundreds of beads and charms complete the piece.  Lots of stitchery -- even my first attemps at bouillion knots.

It is backed and bound in black.  Most importantly, IT IS FINISHED! 













16 comments:

gocrazywithme said...

Beautiful, Lesa. I bet it really sparkles in person!

Ricë said...

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous--

Karen said...

Lesa,
I think this is a great quilt! Loving the work you did.

Connie said...

This is really cool Lesa. It really makes the block so much more special being based on a poem!

Melissa said...

That is one of the cutest whimsical quilts I have seen!

Lesley said...

oh Lesa, you should have bad weather more often! What a lovely quilt. Your work has inspired me...I might even get my tote bag finished by the end of the month, (please note: I have not specified which month) Seriously..really beautiful work. Bet Maddie loves it

Anonymous said...

I love it! There are so many things to see. Great work.
Beryl

Lori said...

Lesa! great work as always! Love the poem and the block is just great! yes, we did songs, fantasy, now maybe it's time for a poem?
thanks for sharing!

Jane said...

Love the nest and the lily pod and walkway! You do the most creative blocks, Lesa... Happy New Year to you and Maddie

Wilma said...

There is so much to see on your quilt Lesa, just wonderful.You could tell a fairy tale with it!

Charlene in SC said...

Now see - the snow wasn't ALL bad ;-) It is beautiful - well done! Do you still sit and stare at it?

Cat said...

Absolutly charming! This will keep eyes busy for hours! I love the moon peeking behind the owl! You did good!

NEEDLEWINGS said...

Awesome piece!

Judy S. said...

Great finish, Lesa. I wish I could see it in person to study the details. Happy New Year, and stay warm!

Kaye Turner said...

What a stunning piece of work. I'm right there with you on the batting issue, I know exactly what you're saying! I too am often inspired by poetry, and I love the illustrative quality you have here. Thank you for visiting my new blog and for your lovely comment.

Wendy said...

This is beautiful Lesa. A nice peaceful place to go when life happens and you need a place of solitude. I love the colors and all the little details. What a wonderful project.