Thursday, January 14, 2010

Blank Space on Blocks

The next few series of posts will be to help members of my group, CQForNewbies, work on their Red Color Study Round Robin blocks.

The question I get asked the most is how to fill up the bigger spaces (or patches) on a block.  I'm going to post a few examples here for the newbies.  I'm going to try and show as many different techniques as I can, but please remember,  I'm limited to my own blocks or the few blocks I have from Round Robin's I've been in myself.



This example is done with metallic threads in a swirl design and metal embellishments (from jewelry) added.  On my block, this is a vertical treatment, but would also be good for a horizontal one also.  You can lightly mark your block with chalk or a disappearing pen.  Just be sure to NEVER iron over the disappearing pen while it is still visible on the block (this will set the ink and it will not go away).  Also, always check to make sure the ink will actually disappear (use it in the seam allowance).  On some of the fancy fabrics, it can take a long time to disappear and on others, it will not disappear.

The second example is a lace motif covering a patch.  The lace has feather stitching for accent and is also beaded.  The lace is part of a doily that has been tea dyed and sewn into place.

Hope this helps some of you -- there will be more examples later.







5 comments:

Gerry said...

Hi There! Gosh, it's good to see you come and visit, and a nice comment too. LOL.

The cold is giving me a run for my money - still. I'm pretty sure I can out last it, though :-)

I saw the post for the STS-Winter and got my block pieced.

This is a great, informative post. Nice job.

Kaye Turner said...

Two nice examples there. I particularly like the tea-dyed doilies.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Very good information to share! You're a gem, you know!

Gina E. said...

I'm not part of your newbies group Lesa, but I still lurk on the fringe to pick up hints! These are veryuseful; I've sometimes been stuck for ideas on how to fill up blank spaces on CQ blocks.
Happy New Year to you and Maddie!

SH Sue said...

The lace motif is georgeous!!!!! Never thought to add stitches.