Thursday, April 30, 2009

What I've Been Up To

It's baby quilt time again. The above ABC quilt is a commission piece. This Grandma ordered one from me last year, for a boy. Now Baby #2 is definitely a girl, so both of them had to have ABC quilts -- only this one a little more girly. In case you're wondering what that is beside the letter "W" it's a balloon. It's hard to tell, isn't it, without the string embroidered on. But that comes later.

The ABC quilts are my own design -- if you can call it that -- I make the balloon type letters and cut them out with pinking shears. The letters are sewn down as part of the quilting process with bright colored embroidery floss. I've made so many of these that I have lost count. I've been making them for 10 years now.
This hanger holds about 8 baby quilt tops. Sometime real soon here I've got to stop piecing tops and start layering and quilting. These are for my shows this Fall. I'm thinking with the economy the way it is now, warm coverings are going to be a must for this coming Winter. But I don't even want to think about Winter, as I'm *still* waiting for warm weather here. Maddie and I saw one day of sunshine last week and won't see another day of sunshine until late next week. Lots of rain though. And thunder. And lightning. And cool weather.

This little bunny quilt is hiding behind the others on the hanger. I love the flowers on this little guy. I'm going to spend a couple of days and one night with my friend, Crazy Judyth. We've got lots of work to do for the quilt show that she's going to vend at. I hear there's an iron that's calling my name (LOL)
Hope you all have a good weekend and that you're having sunshine. I know the sun is shining somewhere, just not here.

3 comments:

Judy S. said...

Very cute, Lesa! You sure have been a busy gal. I love them all; that circle one is really nice!

Gina E. said...

You are very creative! Such sweet baby quilts; I bet they will be in demand when your cold weather comes around again. We are just heading into winter here in Melbourne and I think we are in for a cold one. Winter has been very mild for the last ten years while we've been going through the drought, but now we are getting more rain, which is fantastic after such a long dry decade!

Melissa said...

My grandson has the ABC quilt. It's a beautiful piece of work. For my great grand-daughter, I ordered the Bunny quilt. Again, a gorgeous creation. I love having these unique quilts for my grandkids.