Friday, February 27, 2009

Finally Friday!


YAY! Finally Friday! I'm so happy. Last night I received a gift from one of my cyber-friends, someone whom I've never met but we have emailed for over 10 years now (!). She sent me the new Judith Baker Montano spiral book of crazy quilt stitches -- diagramed for LEFT HANDED people! Guess you know what I will be doing over the weekend.
For some of my newbies in CQForNewbies -- today's pictures are appliqued motifs. In the first picture, you will see a flamingo that I cut out from another piece of fabric and hand stitched to the block. Lots and lots of hand stitches. I did not use anything on the edges of the applique to keep it from fraying, just sewed with floss.
The second picture is the same thing, the sun motif was cut from fabric, only this time I appliqued it on with a machine satin stitch using metallic thread. My sewing machine seems to handle the metallic threads a lot better then the hand embroidery threads and then I beaded the edges. By the way, this is the very first CQ block I ever did and I was playing around with machine stitching vs. hand stitching. And if you're wondering -- hand stitching won (LOL).
So I hope that gives some of you an idea on how to use fabrics as motifs.
I want to take the time to thank all of you for your sweet comments. So many of you come through with "no reply" or no email addresses or names, so I'm going to start responding to comments in the comment section. I know I like to read the comments on the blogs I visit and I hope you do too.
We're supposed to have snow tomorrow -- ugh! It was 70 degrees on Wednesday and now snow on Friday night. Everyone is so tired of winter and anxious for spring that I know we're trying to rush Mother Nature. I wish she'd take the hint (g).

12 comments:

JK said...

Mornin girly girl.... ;)

I really like that wizard hon, kind of reminds me of Dumbledore in HP... I am looking forward to seeing what else you do with it. I really need to take out those stamps I bought and never used and give this a try.

I think the machine stitching came out beautiful, and wish mine would do that, but it eats the big one everytime it goes near metallics..

As usual, gorgeous work hon..

Judy S. said...

Hi Lesa,
I forgot to ask you how you did your wizard in multiple colors. Loved your idea of using fabric cutouts, too. I just bought some with alligators! Do you have any suggestions for handstitching with metallic thread? I find it tough.

SH Sue said...

Lesa - Thank you for the beautiful eye candy. You have such creative ideas. Your stitching is lovely. I also like the machine stitching. I think we need to use our machines to their full capability. I, too am partial to the hand stitches, especially yours, but am liking my machine stitches more and more (much quicker also). Thanks for all you do for our group. sue

sharon lozano said...

Oh, such nice stitches. You did a great job on all pictures. Thank you for showing me how to use other fabric on cq. Helps me alot! Sharon Lozano

Lori said...

Lesa, as usual, great pics! love what you did with the motifs..so many ideas now swirling in this head of mine! so glad you are back to blogging! I don't type much on my blog, but do post pics!
hugs
Lori

Kay said...

I just bought that same book because someone on the Newbies list recommended it and I love it. I am also left handed and really found this to be the first book that really is easy for me to understand as a left hander! You'll love the book, I'm already increasing my library of stitches.

Ruby said...

Thanks, Lesa, those motifs give me more ideas. I have novelty fabric from sane quilting that I would like to use as a motif! Been working on my blue block, will post picture soon
Ruby

Shari said...

I now know why I should keep my novelty fabrics with great motif pictures! Honestly, I never thought of appliquing them to a CQ patch, but why not? I do use clothing labels, silkies, and printed ribbons with words on them. It seems the simplest things elude us at times. Will also have to try the stamping, I have done that for other needlework techniques. Thanks for the inspiration.

Charlene said...

I still love your applique, but haven't tried it yet. One of these days we'll get around to trying all the things we love; right? Did you get snow? They're saying we will get around 4-6 inches tonight...

Ira said...

I love all you works. I hope you will do a greates blocks now with new book

Maddie Can Fly said...

Judy,
For working with metallic thread, try using a needle with a long eye and a fairly large eye; that seems to help with the fraying.

Also, if you're doing CQ work, don't stab clear through each time. Try just sliding the thread between your pieced layer and your foundation -- sometimes that also helps with the wear and tear on the metallic thread.

Hope that helps!

Lesa

Maddie Can Fly said...

Thank you all for your great compliments. I'm glad I've given several of you a reason to keep your novelty fabrics. I really love mine and love using them.

Lesa