Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Weekend Fun

It was hot, hot, hot in my area of the world over the weekend. So a good time to stay inside and sew. (This is Maddie through the window watching me water). The previous weekend I went out of town with a friend and found THE most wonderful fabric and quilt shop -- a REAL fabric shop -- not a craft store with a few bolts of fabric. Miles and miles of fabrics and the most beautiful quilt samples hanging on the walls. I was really inspired by two of the quilts, one a New York Beauty version and the other a Drunkard's Path.

As some of you may know, I am the List Owner of CQForNewbies, a crazy quilting group. I love my crazy quilting but I also love sane quilts, especially traditional quilts with a twist. This is what I did with the Drunkard's Path block. I drafted my own pattern (took two versions, the first one was too large) and then started pulling my fabrics.

For this pattern, I actually FORCED myself to use all my fabrics -- even those that I have had for years but they're too pretty to cut. You know which ones I'm talking about, you have them too, we all do. Fabric we ooohhhed and ahhhed over and couldn't wait to buy. Then we fold it up nicely and put it away. Each time we go to our fabric stash, we pull it out and look at it again and think, oh no, I don't want to use this, this quilt isn't special enough, good enough, I'm not sure it will look right, if I use it then it will all be gone -- all those excuses we make to ourselves and then we fold the special fabric back up and put it away again.

NO MORE! I'm using it. What if the world ended tomorrow (or next week, or next month or next year?) There would be that special fabric just sitting around and I would have never had the pleasure of using it, of seeing how it looks in a quilt block. Ever wonder why all your quilt blocks and tops all look the same? It's probably because you keep using the same old fabric in your stash, never breaking out that special stuff.
So here are my Drunkard's Path blocks -- an explosion of color. I've used all the brighest fabrics I could find, including my batiks and my fun novelty fabrics. I first put these together using color families for the circles (i.e., all blues together, all reds together) but found I didn't like it. I like the explosion of color idea and will just throw the pieces up in the air and let them fall where they may.

I had attempted Drunkard's Path a long time ago and really made a mess with the curved piecing. Now with the new sewing machine and the walking foot, this pattern is a breeze. I only pin at the beginning and end and by sewing slowly and carefully, I can zip right around that curve and have a perfect curved seam.

4 comments:

Ati. Norway. said...

Lesa, I LOVE the drunkard path quilt ! So summer and cheerful:))

Judy S. said...

Wnat a fun way to do this pattern and use your stash. Bravo!

Susan said...

Your dp looks great! I love your idea about using your stash. I think it would be fun to embellish those curves. =)

belinda said...

WOW!! Love the colors. Just last week I watched a quilting program on Public Broadcasting--Fons & Porter Love of Quilting---and they showed how to sew a perfect circle. So...now I know how....and I can truly appeciate YOUR quilt!!

p.s. thanks for stopping by for a visit here awhile back......I thought I had thanked you, but I can't see anywhere on your blog where I have....sorry this is late in coming!!!