Thursday, August 07, 2008

At the Library and New Block

I stopped by the library the other night and went into the bookstore they have there. I don't know if your library has one of these, but if they do you should go and check them out. Lots of books for low, low prices and they even have craft/quilt/sewing/gardening -- well, all the kinds of books that the regular library has.

Look at this cute book -- this is a little doll quilt. (I know the pic is a little fuzzy -- move on down for a better one). I would have bought it for the nice clear, sharp pictures alone but then -- WAIT! In the back of the book are little patterns drawn on muslin so you can either embroider or draw patterns and make an old fashioned appliqued quilt just like the book. This book is by Janet Bolton and tells of her grandmother making this quilt as a little girl. She drew all her patterns on paper and then transferred them to fabric and appliqued the whole while. All this for only $4.


My new CQ block is one done for our Hearts and Flowers Shower on CQForNewbies. These blocks are made to give comfort to any of your members who have suffered a loss and also to help celebrate when something great happens. This block is for Linda who has suffered the loss of her newborn grand-daughter. It was suggested the blocks be pastels but when I saw this piece of angel fabric in my stash, I knew I had to do this for Linda. So I kept the block mostly white on white (the colors are a little strange here on my monitor, the lace is really ecru not the yellowish color it looks).

8 comments:

Amy said...

I like how the angel is coming out of the block. I think all too often when one uses a printed figure I feel like they are confined in the center. Having the wings overlap the seam give a great sense of depth. Terrific block.

Marianne said...

Lesa, just gorgeous. I know Linda will treasure it. How did you embroider the wing?

gocrazywithme said...

Beautifully done, Lesa, and full of caring thoughts. Love the way you did the wings, reaching out of the print like that.

I can't always get your pics to enlarge. Is it me?

Lori said...

Beautiful Lesa, and as you have said before, extend outside the block! whether it's leaves , branches or wings. Nicely done!
Hugs

Pat Winter said...

The angel block is beautiful! That book is so sweet,I wish we had a store in our library. What a find!
Hugs Pat

Cat said...

I like that angel! The colors are great too. What a treasure it will be!

Charlene said...

Ewww - just my kind of book! What a great thing to have at the Library. Love your angel!

Threadhead said...

thank you so much, Lesa. It is a beautiful block and means so much to me. I do treasure it.
Linda

http://maddiecanfly.blogspot.com/