Monday, July 21, 2008

Thrift Store Find

Our thrift stores around here aren't known for their good buys. However, last Friday, I managed to find something definitely worth bringing home. It's this little vest, Handmade by Debbie (personalized tag inside). Don't you just love all these vintage embroidery pieces? The peacock is what made me grab it. There's one small discolored stain (on the peacock panel, of course!), but I haven't washed it yet. I'm hoping a nice gentle soak will brighten everything up. So enjoy the pictures. OH, the price? $2.50. I couldn't grab it fast enough.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is adorable! It's a good thing I wasn't there, we might have had a knock-down drag-out fight over it!
I can't get the back view to go larger, but the peacock and other front parts are wonderful. Can you imagine someone sending it to Goodwill because it had a spot on it? I'd just embroider something over the top of it!
Janet in Colorado

Pat said...

Oh My What a FIND!!!!! I never find stuff like that!
I love it!
Pat

Gina E. said...

Wow Lesa, what a fantastic find! My heart cries for all the beautiful linens that were torn up to create this vest, but on the other hand it is a great way to display them!
I think I have that Peacock on a runner in my collection. Sure is gorgeous.

Gerry said...

What a great find. It's just wonderful. What will you do with it?

Charlene said...

What a treasure! I love treasure hunting, too. Good luck - if the soak doesn't work, try the clorox pen. I bought a cotton dress last week and didn't see until ironing that the seamstress must have stuck a needle in her hand. I a put paper towel under the spot (happened to be in the white of bright blue flowers)rubbed it on, then rinsed with cool water. Did the trick!

Judy S. said...

Great find, Lesa! I think Janet had a good idea....

Maddie Can Fly said...

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going to wear it for a while, then I may end up dismantling it and reusing the linens. I'm not worried about the spot -- don't want to embroider over it as the vest is fully and seamlessly lined so there's more fabric there (LOL)