Monday, June 16, 2008

The Dark Tower is Back!

Here it is -- The Dark Tower. (LOL). I left these pics nice and large so I think you can click on them and get the full effect. This is based on Stephen King's epic series of books, The Dark Tower. If you haven't read the book, you should. This is Roland's tower, set in a field of blood red roses, at sunset.

I was waiting for some special fibers -- it's hand-dyed roving. Most people use it to needle felt. I didn't felt it -- just pulled pieces of it off to use as the clouds around the tower. The picture above you can see it pretty clearly. It's held down iwth lots of feather stitch.


Here you can see one of the beams (the last one left) that is holding the tower and the world together. I used lots of my specialty threads, Sassa Lynn and hand-dyed perle cottons and floss.

Coming next: the beach scene with the Lobstrosity! I pulled fabrics for it last night.

8 comments:

NuvoFelt said...

What a lovely use for those threads.

SH Sue said...

I read the series. What a great interpretation. Love hoe the fibers play with the fabric.

Charlene said...

Oh - WOW. That is beautiful, and so like it 'should' look. I'm nearing the end of Suzanna's Song... and was thinking it was #5, but realized it is #6, so bought The Dark Tower Friday... Ready to know the conclusion! I should be finished by Christmas at my rate! Let's see those selections for the beach... I don't know how you plan to put it together, but that irredescent, shimmery (organza?) would look great as the sashing (beams)! Thanks so much for letting me know -- as you can tell, I haven't been reading lately!!

Gerry said...

Congrats on getting your tower completed. It's very cool looking!

Judy S. said...

What a neat idea, Lesa! I never would have thought to use roving this way.

calamitykim said...

Just stopped by to say I finished reading The Thirteenth Tale and loved it! It surprised me! I didn't even think of the possibility of how the ending ended!
It was great!
Troy is choosing a winner for the mag for my blog contest today but you can always order one through the Cloth Paper Scissors website in case you don't win.
xxxooo calamity kim

Cindy Ericsson said...

I love it, and I loved the books. This is my first time here, but I can't wait to see how you interpret the lobstrosities.

wilma said...

Lesa, your Dark Tower block has become beautiful, love the use of all those shiny threads, I am looking forward to the Lobstrosity!