Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Special Request


Lin Moon left me a comment the other day asking to see details from the Alice quilt. Since this was the very first picture I posted to my blog (a year ago!), I figured Lin Moon deserved to have her request honored, just for being so patient and going through all the archives (LOL).

Above is the full quilt. It's small -- only about 13 inches or so -- can't remember exactly. I sent pictures and entered it into the Quilt Arts calendar contest. I had not been doing crazy quilting for very long when I entered this quilt and this was the first quilting thing I had ever entered. (I've done rubber stamp art in the past and submitted many pieces to magazines and had all of them published In fact, the clouds and Alice herself are all images that are stamped onto fabric and colored or painted). Now that I've been doing CQ for a while, I see why it was not accepted. It's just not finished. But I'll share with you a few detail shots.


Silk ribbon embroidery and beads coming out of the window. Looks nice. Now I'd make everything a lot bigger. This quilt contains my first crazy pieced fan. In window picture you can see the seam treatment I did around the edge of the fan. It's okay. But it needs more to make it stand out. The second shot is the broken clock face -- beaded around the edges and stitched with metallic thread. I still like this. All the numbers on the quilt are beaded. And I still like them, but all in all, the quilt needs more quilting, with metallic threads or something to give it some "pizzazz." It was a nice beginning -- I just didn't go far enough with it.
So there you go Lin Moon. Hope you liked your close ups. Not as much beading on it as there should be. There are a few beaded flowers down around Alice's feet, but they just looked so little and pathetic, I didn't want to show them in close up (LOL).

9 comments:

Gerry said...

This is a great block. It's actually a pretty good size. The window and broken clock are very cool!

Susan said...

How pretty! I love the flowers on the window.

Judy S. said...

Hi Lesa,

Thanks for the detailed photos; it's really helpful to see other folk's work! Alice is very cute, and I love the SRE and clock.

Lin Moon said...

Thanks so much for revisiting this block and the details - it's wonderful! Isn't it funny how when you look at something you did awhile ago, sometimes you're amazed at your own great talent and other times you see all the things you could have done better? I still really like it.
~Lin Moon

Lori said...

I think for one of your first ones it's great! My daughter has one of my first ones hanging on her wall and I cringe whenever I see it! Must been I have improved with all the help from CQ4Newbies and JK Thank you all again!! LOL!
Lori

Lynn said...

This is wonderful, WOW..You are so talented..

Charlene said...

My favorite parts are the clock and the flower coming out the window. So great!

Clothmatters said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Malla said...

This is great, so creative. The flowers pouring oug of the window and the split clock... How on earth did you come up to anything like this!