Monday, March 31, 2008

New Project

I read an article recently about finding your own voice -- I wish I could remember where I read it. The author talked about someone who was very artistic, yet they kept imitating other people and/or making whatever was in style at the moment. Sometimes I feel that's all I do, only maybe even worse.

Since I sell at craft shows, I make what other people deem is fashionable and what I think the public will buy. Not what I would like to do for myself -- things that are different -- a little quirky -- a little out there. I've tried taking some of my "out there" stuff to craft shows and I either get strange looks or people are just quiet when they look at it -- very quiet. I would love to know what they're thinking when they look at it, but most people are reluctant to be totally honest.

Here's my newest project -- Come into the garden Maud for the black bat night has flown.

I love collage, I love crazy quilting, I love doing my heat transfers, I love beading, I love working on top of a quilt batt for a foundation, I love stamping, I love the scenes I see in my head and I'm trying to get them out. I decided to just do something that combined everything I loved. It was fun pulling fabrics -- lots and lots of fabric. Lots of snipping and placing and moving. Little bits and pieces at a time. Now the sewing begins.

3 comments:

JK said...

I don't think your beautiful items are "quirky".. They are art! And if people cannot appreciate art well.... never mind.. can't post that here.

I still love the Alice in Wonderland piece... My address is....

Les how do you know when people update their blog? Did you tell me once and I spaced it? I think I have been married to "Antonio the Plumber" for too long.. I am getting as absent minded as he is!

XX Angel

Lynn said...

I love the colors and how you have laid out the block.. Your blocks are allways so interesting and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Judy S. said...

Very pretty and great colors! Can't wait for the next step....