Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Seam Embellishment of the Week

As some of you may know, I am one of the List Owners of CQForNewbies, a Yahoo group dedicated to helping newbies with crazy quilting. As a new feature on the list (and here), I'll be posting a weekly pic of different seam embellishments to help the newbies get some ideas and work on their swap blocks. I'm posting the pictures here because you can click on the pics and get an even bigger, up close view.
Today's seam is a rather simple one, involving only one stitch, the chain stitch. This seam was done by JK, my partner in crime (g). As you can see, she has used the chain stitch to make scallops along the seam line and then added chain stitches on the top curve of each scallop. Makes a nice seam embellishment don't ya think? She has used two colors to showcase the top chains. To get nice spaced scallops, I use a thread spool and put half of the spool edge on the seam line and draw around it with chalk. This gives you a nice half circle shape to follow and the chalk vanishes easily, even on the fancy fabrics.

But you don't have to stop with just the chain stitch. Some other variations would be to use bugle beads in place of the three chains on top. You could add buttons in the empty spaces of the scallops. And don't just stop with sewing on a plain button. While you're sewing your button on, add a few beads to the center and give it a little more bling. In crazy quilting, "too much is never enough." For those of you a little more advanced, you could do some silk ribbon embroidery and add a rose in the center of the scallops.

Hope this gives you some ideas to help you in embellishing your blocks.

If you need directions for doing the chain stitch, you can find some here.

9 comments:

Malla said...

A weekly seem embellishment is a very good idea Lesa! I could not enlarge your photo, got the idea though. Looking forward to continuation.

Gerry said...

This is great, Lesa. I also couldn't enlarge the photo.

Kay said...

Oh I like the scalloped pattern of the chain stitch. I'll be using that on a block I am working on. Thanks for the great idea. I'll be following along with you on Tuesdays!

Susan said...

Beautiful seam! When you upload the picture, I think you have to click medium or large if you want people to be able to click to enlarge it. Medium is what I usually use.

If you are going to be posting every week, would you like to be on the Around the Block webring?

Charlene said...

What a lovely thing for you to undertake. It will be so helpful for the Newbies - and oldbies alike!

Judy S. said...

What a great idea! And thanks, Lesa, for the stitch link. It looks like a great resource. Your spacing idea should be very helpful, too. I'll be checking back!

Louisiana Momma said...

ohh lesa!! I always wondered how people got those perfect spaced scallops (not like my lopsided ones).. you have answered my question.. I see scallops in my CQ future :-)

Malla said...

A tip: I have a transparent plastic ruler that has many, many circles in different sizes. It is originally my husband's but I have now a good use for it. I'm sure you can also find such a ruler in a stationer's shop.

PS
Am eager to swap ATCs with you Lesa!

Marcia said...

Great idea...even for some of us who aren't newbies! I like the chalk idea! Just found another blog with CQ....alliesinstitches.blogspot.com. She does beautiful work. Have you seen it?