Monday, January 07, 2008

New Year, New Projects

Hey everyone! After I made my last post here, I was struck down with a bunch of horrible germs that knocked me off my feet for the whole New Year's holiday. Nasty, nasty stuff! I'm so glad that's over with. I may have been down, but was determined not to waste my days off. I got the book Birds of a Feather (Barb Adams is one of the authors) right before New Year's Eve and decided that would be my first project of the year for me. I love the primitive look of this quilt. In fact, I like most primitive quilting. I guess I'm the multiple personality of the quilt world -- on one hand I like all the bling-bling over the top look of encrusted crazy quilts and then the simple beauty of primitive applique. (The block is NOT crooked in person -- it's just the angle I was standing at to get the picture).
I'm doing this all by hand using the freezer paper method which is tedious and time consuming, but the results look so good (compared to my pathetic attempts at needle turn applique). I've got the first two blocks done and the third one prepped. Most of the fabric is from my stash -- I only bought a couple of fat quarters of red and green to add a little variety. Here's the next block, prepped, but not sewn down yet. This will be a quilt for me! Wish me luck on keeping focused.

9 comments:

Susan said...

I love folk art quilts! These are great blocks and that last one will be absolutely gorgeous. Needle-turn just takes practice. I was taught by the queen of needle-turn, Laurene Sinema, and it made it a lot easier to pick up.

Lynn said...

wow lesa, this is great. I would love to try this, but have no idea how, or how to use freezer paper. is there any site with helpful guidlines on this?

Ira said...

Beautiful work. Veri impressive.

Gerry said...

Lesa, these are very pretty. And my goodness, what a lot of work.

I too would like to know about using freezer paper.

NormaH said...

Lesa, what a gorgeous start for the new year! I've used freezer paper for applique but much prefer needle turn. Must get out my Tree of Life applique quilt and work on it some more. Thanks for the incentive!

Judy S. said...

Oh Lesa, this is so beautiful. I love folk art designs, too. Looks like you are flying along..... someone gave me a pattern for an appliqued bunny quilt and this is making me itch to try it. Then there's my fall block....my plans are out of control!

BTW, thanks for helping me solve my connection problem. I'm able to access everything now.

sue said...

Love your birds , Lesa. I did some doves a similar style to these for a swap once but they didn't turn out nearly as good
Susie, UK

Charlene said...

How beautiful this will be! I saw a maganize at Hobby Lobby yesterday, old fashioned quilting, or something like that, and the cover was lovely. Sometimes bling is good, and sometimes just beautiful stitching is wonderful. Hope it turns into a good snuggler for you and Maddie!!

hseabreeze said...

I also have the Birds of a feather book, and love it. I am going to be starting to work on the fabric selections for my blocks. It will be for my bed.