Thursday, September 13, 2007

Is it Fall?


Another September 11th has come and gone without incident. On the original 9/11, I was at home. I had just purchased my house and had a few days off to move. This past 9/11, I had to work and I kind of held my breath all day. If an attack or something were to happen, I'd be stuck here at work, with these people I work with, not where I would want to be or who I would want to be with in case of a disaster.
Did I tell you my parents wedding anniversary is September 11th? It is. Over 50 years now. My father always had a hard time remembering the day -- no more. I also have a niece who was born on September 11th and this was her first birthday.
As is so typical in my part of the country, we jump from one season to another in the space of just a few hours. Seems like one day the heat index was 104 and the next morning it was only 50-some degrees. Nothing gradual -- just out and out BAM! Fall is here starting right now. I know so many of you love the Fall and the cooler temps, but I get depressed. Fall means winter is around the corner (See above -- One day it will be in the 70's and the next morning minus 10). Seems like I waited and waited for summer to get here, to have nice warm days (I love weather in the 90's, even with our high humidity here), then it seems like I blink my eyes and summer is over. Where did it go so quick? Why does it seem like winter lasts 13 months and summer only 1?

Fall also means the start of my craft shows. This year not quite as many shows since my mother is recovering from a broken hip/hip replacement surgery. I decided she needed to start out slower, not one show every single weekend. Plus it's easier for me as I work full time and my boss does his best to deny each and every vacation day asked for (in fact, he's working on a plan to do away with ALL paid holidays and vacation pay -- no work, no pay -- so that will give you a clue as to my next big project (LOL)).

So I hope all of you are enjoying the cooler weather and everyone has a good weekend.

5 comments:

Edward C. Foster said...

I'm not enjoying shit.

I'm over here in Arizona, how much cooler do you think it's going to get?

Ed

gocrazywithme said...

Lesa, since you're planning your fall craft shows, Courtney, Lauri, and I would love to know how you price your items. Do you have a formula of some kind? Is it based on cost of materials, time, etc.? We need some help, so if you could answer on the CQ4N list, I know we'd all appreciate it.
Janet in Colorado

Allison Ann Aller said...

Thanks for swinging by my blog...

My niece was born on September 12, 2001...at least it brought a ray of light to us that week....

Sounds like your boss needs some educating on employee relations!

Good luck with your craft fares...love that fuzzy kitty!

Charlene said...

Seems like you're ahead this year. I remember last year thinking you were so stressed and wondering if you were having fun with it. Pretty things you've done!

9/11
I was so busy Thanking God, the Universe, anyone who would listen that DS had returned from the Army. Selfish, I know, but true!

Boss
And I think it's bad to have to be here - he sounds like a tyrant. 'Course they'd all probably love that - sometimes it is an expectation NOT to use accumulated leave - but I figure I've earned it, so I try to take it.

Louisiana Momma said...

that seems to be a trend as of late - eliminating all the benefits that keep the employees long term - vacation, benefits, etc. My hubby works at a refinery and most those people (like us with 4 kids) stay primarily for the insurance reasons.. they are going to find that if people won't have benefits they will just go work for themselves - at least they stand to make more money AND they will still have to pay for their own medicals.

I have been wanting to do some craft shows but i keep signing myself on for swaps and charity projects and never get caught up enough to work on anything to sell.