Friday, May 04, 2007

Spring Fling

At CQForNewbies (where I am one of the list owners), we're doing a Spring Fling block swap. Here are two of my blocks. I hope to get another two done before the due date. The little flowers on the lace are beads.

Last year, we did blocks with a birdhouse theme. The blocks had to have a birdhouse on them somewhere -- either embroidered, in the fabric, a motif, whatever, but there had to be a birdhouse.

So this year to go with the birdhouse blocks, Spring Fling was born. The blocks have to have something on them pertaining to spring and/or the garden. So that leaves a lot of room for interpretation (LOL) -- flowers, birds, bees, bugs, grass, garden tools, butterflies, etc.
The spider web on this block is done with Sulky Holoshimmer thread. This is the nicest metallic/sparkly thread I've sewn with in a long, long time. Very easy to stitch with, no bending, no shredding and most importantly, no breaking! And it's so, so sparkly. Try some!
If you click on the pictures to get a bigger image, you'll be able to see my chalk marks where I drew the spider web. This will all be brushed away before the blocks are sent out.

UPDATE: I was asked in the comments where you get the Holoshimmer thread. I happened to run into a bag of it in an antique mall of all places. However, you can order it online at Sulky.com. If you have a "higher" end needlework/embroidery store near you, you might try and see if they would order for you.

7 comments:

Charlene said...

Oh, so pretty!

Sharon said...

Oh the blockc are so pretty. Where do you get the shimmery thread...wonderful

Gerry said...

Your blocks are very 'springy' and I really like the spider web.

Ati. Norway. said...

Very, very nice Lesa. I love the fans in the corners and the violet.

NormaH said...

Lesa, if you were trying to capture the early morning dew with that sparkly spider web you did a great job!

Thelma said...

Love your block Lesa, so very pretty!!!

JK said...

Hey you little CQ Diva... Those are awfully pretty blocks darlin, and since you would not give me that wizard, I want these! Hey did you ever find your order from Evening Star? I would check the ceiling fan, as I think Mad's had something to do with it...