Monday, March 19, 2007

Pet Food Recall

I'm sure many of you watched the news about the pet food recall in absolute horror. Especially as many of the brands recalled were the high dollar, so called "better nutrition" pet foods.


A little over a year ago, this sweet baby died, in my arms at home, from a "food allergy/sensitive stomach" (Vet's initial diagnosis). What was she eating? NutroMax Cat Food, dry, one of the more expensive pet foods. It's all she ever ate. She didn't even live to be ten years old. Granted, I now have a terrible prejudice against all commercial pet foods (and a vet who wouldn't listen to me about how ill she really was). Since I've deciphered the ingredients in commercial pet foods, I will never feed it to any of my animals.

Years ago, all animals were fed table scraps. Basically, they ate what we ate. The idea of commercial pet foods wasn't even heard at that time. Do a Google search and look for "natural cat food" (or dog food) and you'll find lots of information about what is actually in commercial foods.

What does Madeline eat? Maddie eats Urban King (this is feline -- Urban Wolf is canine) -- http://www.urbanwolf.cc/ -- a natural mix that is added to real meat and/or fish. She loves it. She is extremely healthy (considering she was a shelter cat and came to me very sick and it was a little touch and go whether she would make it). Her vet says she has the clearest lungs and strongest heart he has heard -- especially considering how she started out. I credit the food she eats. Her coat is sooooo soft and shiny and she doesn't shed a ton like my other cats have.

I urge you to visit the above site -- lots of information on nutrition for pets, along with testimonials and pictures. This site pretty much helped me make my decision about Madeline and all future pets I may own.




2 comments:

KCQuilter said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! I am north of the river in Kansas City. Our quilt show will be held Friday and Saturday, May 4th and 5th, up at the KCI Expo Center, near KCI airport. Sorry I don't remember the exact hours but it is roughly 10 - 5. Couldn't find your email address so hope it was okay to answer your question in your comments section. Thanks for the pet food info. I have two precious furballs that I have been concerned about even though the foods they eat weren't listed as the suspicious ones.

Gerry said...

Thanks for the info on the pet foods. I still can't imagine how something like that would happen! Another thing to watch out for is grapes/raisins. They are toxic/fatal to dogs.