Thursday, January 04, 2007

CQforNewbies Round Robin

Happy New Year everyone. Yeah, I know it's late, but I haven't felt like really acknowledging the new year until now.

Thought I'd start the year off right with some pretty pictures for you.

As some of you may know, I am one of the List Owners of CQForNewbies. One of our first projects was a Round Robin with a choice of themes. For the past 4 or 5 months, I've been working on different blocks from the various people in my group, all different themes. This particular block is from Lisa with an "i" and it's a Mardi Gras block (same theme as mine).

This gorgeous peacock is by Nancy (out in Western Kansas, near Denver, the land of eternal snow). I love the way she used the sequins for the "eyes" of the feathers. And that seam embellishment to the left of the peacock is not too shabby either (g).

Of course, this is all much more sparkly and dazzling to the eye in person then in a photograph.





I had this neat idea to do a saxophone for the Mardi Gras block. Sounded good in theory, and came out reasonably well, but not as jaw-dropping as the peacock. I also added the little sequin music notes to mimic the music notes printed in the fabric on the other side of the block.

As you can see, I barely fit the sax in the space marked by the basting stitches. This block has had a lot of work done on it already, so there weren't many big patches left for a big design.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I love your saxophone, and the sequin notes! That's so clever! What a great block she's getting back. =)